The Center for African Studies is seeking a Student Support and Outreach Officer who will coordinate the Center for African Studies' student support activities in its efforts to provide opportunities for Harvard students in Africa and to broaden student exposure to African Studies.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Student Support and Outreach Officer will coordinate the Center for African Studies' student support activities in its efforts to provide opportunities for Harvard students in Africa and to broaden student exposure to African Studies. This role will be responsible for programmatic aspects and administration of funds for Harvard undergraduate and graduate internship programs and research opportunities in Africa. The Student Support and Outreach Officer is the primary point of contact between the Center and its undergraduate and graduate student constituents, including liaising with student groups, representing the Center at informational sessions and student fairs, and advising students one-on-one or in group orientations and send-offs. This position also coordinates CAS's engagement with community colleges and K-12 programs.
Student Support Activities:
- Serve as CAS's liaison to graduate and undergraduate students and student groups
- Develop and disseminate knowledge of African Studies opportunities across Harvard University (e.g., course offerings, study abroad, internship and career opportunities, research and fellowship funding)
- Advise and provide resources and opportunities to students at Harvard University interested in Africa and African Studies
- Maintain contact database of student constituents and alumni of CAS programs
- Represent CAS at events including Office of Career Services career fairs, Harvard Worldwide Week, open houses, and other venues
- Organize student forums, town halls, and open houses
- Administer student grant funding for internships and research, including J-term, summer term, and Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships
- Maintain grant application forms, set academic year deadlines, market funding opportunities, review applications, finalize grantees (in close consult with CAS Faculty Director and Executive Director), receive grantees' pre-departure requirements, and receive grantees' post-trip deliverables
- Develop close working relationships with CAS Faculty Affiliates for review of student grant applications and development of new programming
- Organize student send-off orientations and maintain contact while students are abroad
- Report on student activities to donors
- Work in close consult with the CAS Faculty Director and CAS Executive Director to develop new internship and research opportunities
- Work in close consult with the CAS Events team on planning and executing student events
- Work in close consult with the CAS Communications team on advertising and promoting CAS programming and funding opportunities to students
- Serve as CAS's outreach officer to community colleges and K-12 institutions
- Coordinate CAS's participation in Global Studies Outreach Summer Teacher's Workshop, including attendance at Harvard Global Studies Outreach Committee meetings
- Coordinate research and internship opportunities for students at community college affiliates
- Develop and maintain relationships with other African Studies Centers and U.S. Department of Education designated National Resource Centers (NRCs)
- Develop and implement CAS’s annual outreach activities under U.S. Department of Education NRC/Title VI funding
- Assist with data collection for NRC reporting
Some evening and weekend work required. Some domestic and international travel may be required.
Bachelor's degree required. A minimum of 3 years' experience in higher education administration or student programming.
Experience in a higher education setting preferred.
Experience in student programming strongly preferred.
Excellent communication and project management skills.
Strong financial management skills.
Event planning experience desired.
Experience living or working in Africa desired.
Please apply here: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType...